Monday, July 30, 2012

So, summer is almost over, thank God, i want to be back in school (i am an uber nerd deal with it), even though it means being farther from my boyfriend. the kinda awesome guy i met in may is actually more than kinda awesome, and he gets along great with my family which is awesome. The fact that he is in the SCA as well makes things that much better because its easier to get rides to the same places to see each other. Speaking of SCA, Pennsic War is coming up, it is by far (at least to me and many others) the highlight of my year/summer. Mainly because i get to see a bunch of people i don't get to see very often and also get to spend an entire week away from the real world. My vacation is awesome, even though my parents think i am insane for going out in the heat and the lack of electricity for an entire week. I am looking forward to getting to fence and take classes, especially since i have found that the people teaching some of the classes i want to go to are also professors elsewhere and i can pick their brains about becoming one myself. I am an academic, still dont know how that one happened : D
summer also stinks since the last few weeks have been mother nature slamming my area with storms. I had my last day at my internship last thursday and there was sightings of a tornado just north of where i was. i didnt see too much damage up there, but my car needed its windows resealed apparently, i had a lovely little pond on my floor boards on the passenger side. I will miss my internship, tomorrow is the first day that i dont have to go in, and i am looking forward to my first day off with just me and my kindle in what seems forever. I love books, and with my kindle the free books they have are awesome, but then i want to get the rest of the series and dont have the money to spend on them :( My mom and me went through my clothes the other day and i got rid of maybe a sixth of what i have, and saddeningly the majority of what went is all stuff i have had since high school. I was quite attached to some of them, the rest were mostly hand me downs that my sisters, failing to take into consideration that i am a twig, gave me. Mom also helped me start packing for pennsic, apparently my rushing around like a chicken with its head cut off like last year is not an option.
Lastly my doggy is getting up there in age and seems to be following me with health problems, we have been trying to get the back end of her to stop causing her such problems since she was a puppy, she has what the vet calls hot spots, she bites them incessantly and its gotten so bad that she barely has hair back there :( beans has been my baby girl since we get her when i was eleven and she was six weeks old i think, and she has been my dog ever since she "guarded" me against my parents the first night i came home from pittsburgh after my surgery to have a broviac put in so the chemo wouldnt hurt my heart. She became my shadow through all of that. My doggy is awesome. she gives me the "i am so mad at you but i missed you" act when i come home from college. She loves me one minute then gives me the glare the next, but when it comes down to it, she doesnt go to mom and dads room when i am home, she comes to mine. I love that i have a room that is mine at home again. my middle sister took over when she moved back in so i have been carting my stuff back and forth all college.
I have applied to my first graduate school. I am nervous but excited, and have decided to graduate in the fall. I had originally been planning to go the entire year, but i am ready for a new challenge and need to see what i can do in graduate school. my list of schools have everything from University of Penn to Columbia, and even some of the state schools. Suprisingly Catholic University of America in DC made the list, they have a Byzantine studies program, and i would love to take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment